Yonsei University, one of South Korea’s premier institutions, recently hosted an enlightening entrepreneurship course in collaboration with beSUCCESS Media Group. Held from June 27 to July 14, 2023, the program attracted investors, mentors, and esteemed experts from the startup world, eager to share their wealth of knowledge with enthusiastic students.
As the 73rd-ranked university globally in the QS World University Rankings 2023, Yonsei University welcomed students from diverse faculties such as business management, computer science, fine art, and English literature. The primary goal of the summer course was to introduce participants to the thrilling realm of entrepreneurship and provide invaluable insights into the ever-evolving global startup landscape. The online program is co-hosted by Cuvee April.
On July 10 and 11, the spotlight was on Cindy Teoh-Cavefors, formerly an Associate Director of Golden Equator Ventures, who captivated the students with her expertise in Singapore’s thriving startup ecosystem. With over a decade of experience in the Venture Capital (VC), banking, and finance space, Cindy Teoh-Cavefors has been instrumental in the impressive growth of a multi-family office (MFO) as the founding member of its VC practice.
She has reviewed over 1,000 startups, leading several investment rounds for early-stage ventures, including one that marked the first full exit of the MFO’s inaugural VC fund. Another groundbreaking achievement under her belt was being part of the world’s first women-led property-technology startup to complete its NASDAQ IPO. Currently serving as the Managing Partner of MicDrop Capital, a VC investment strategy company, Cindy Teoh-Cavefors bridges businesses with two of the world’s iconic financial centers – Singapore and New York.
During her mentoring session, Cindy Teoh-Cavefors unveiled the reasons why Singapore stands out as an ideal destination for startups:
- Strategic Location: Singapore’s strategic location provides a strong business base, with a flight time of just five hours to reach all the countries in South-East Asia (SEA) and certain cities in South Asia, China, and Australia. This seamless accessibility fosters regional collaboration and trade opportunities.
- Ease of Doing Business: Singapore ranks high in the ease of doing business index, offering a conducive environment for startups to establish and scale their ventures efficiently.
- Top Financial Center: The city-state boasts a reputation as a top global financial center, providing startups access to robust financial services, capital, and investment opportunities.
- Multicultural and Inclusive Society: Singapore’s diversity and inclusivity create a melting pot of talent, ideas, and perspectives, nurturing an environment of innovation and creativity.
- Thriving Startup Community: Singapore hosts a vibrant community of 4.7k tech startups, supported by 249 incubators and accelerators and over 1,000 investors, including VC & PE firms, family offices, and corporate venture capitalists (CVC).
- Significant Investment: The city-state’s startup ecosystem has seen remarkable growth, with the highest concentration of VC investments per GDP globally, backed by the government’s substantial investment of US$18.5 billion in research, innovation, and enterprise.
Cindy Teoh-Cavefors also delved into the startup investment activity in Singapore over the past three years, highlighting the evolving trends in the city’s dynamic entrepreneurial landscape.
Her engaging and informative session proved to be an invaluable experience for Yonsei University’s aspiring entrepreneurs. The students actively engaged with Cindy Teoh, seeking insights on startup trends, investment opportunities, and the secrets to Singapore’s success in fostering a thriving startup ecosystem.
Yonsei University’s collaboration with beSUCCESS Media Group and Cindy Teoh’s mentorship showcased the university’s commitment to nurturing entrepreneurship in academia. Through such enriching experiences, students were not only introduced to the exciting world of startups but also equipped with the knowledge and inspiration to explore the boundless possibilities in Singapore’s booming startup scene.
- Yonsei University Global Program Explores Japanese Startup Ecosystem and Investment Landscape with Masaru Ikeda
- Tomasz Kowalczyk Shares Insights on European Startup Ecosystem at Yonsei University & beSUCCESS Media program
- Yonsei University Explores US Startup Ecosystem Trends & Unicorn Success Stories with Renowned Investor Sunny Midha
- South Korea Launches CVC Alliance with 42 Corporations to Drive $6.2 Billion Innovation Boost for Startups