Ten Korean startups innovating in the content sector are set to participate in the 2021 STARTUP.CON, organized by MCST (Ministry of Culture, Sports & Tourism) and hosted by KOCCA (Korea Creative Content Agency) on October 7th and 8th at the COEX Center in Seoul. The event will also be live streamed online forThe STARTUP.CON is an annual event that started in 2015 to support Korean content startups that aspire for global expansion. The event focuses on startups that are innovating in content in any genre – development, management, production, consumption and more.
The 2021 STARTUP.CON is organized with the keyword ‘Be the Next Level,’ emphasizing the theme that the future for the startups is content. Eminent personalities that will address keynote speeches and the competing startups include Netflix founder Mark Randolph and Bharat N. Anand, author of ‘The Future of Content’ and professor at Harvard Business School.
Over two days, topics related to the content, future of technology in content, growth in different content industries, the importance of ESG, etc. will be discussed. Those interested in Korean startups and innovation in the content sector can attend the live streaming of the sessions online on https://startupcon.kr/ from October 7th to October 8th from 10 am to 5.30 pm KST.
The 2021 STARTUP.CON had a tedious selection process wherein, in the first round, 23 Korean startups were shortlisted for the competition. The Pre-STARTUP.CON started on September 27th. The Korean startup teams had to present their products and services through a 5-minute video pitching. There were three categories for competing teams – general team/battlefield, local team and launchpad team. Ten startups were selected for the second round, where the teams now get 5 minutes pitching time and 5 minutes for Q&A with judges at the main event. The final round will further eliminate the teams, and only the top three teams will compete.
The three top teams will get prize money and support for the global launch. The winning team gets 50,000,000 won, the second top team 30,000,000 won and the third-place team gets 20,000,000 won. All the top ten startups get to participate in an online exhibition. Also, the startups get to pitch educational sessions and attend consulting programs. The ten startups competing for the coveted award are as follows:
- Brightn Cooperation: The startup has developed a specialized video work collaboration tool for people who produce and work with digital content such as advertising and marketers – Wipshot
- Carpenstreet: The Seoul-based startup allows creators 3D designs/models usage for creations in various fields such as webtoons/comics, illustrations, 3D games, animations, broadcasting, etc.
- Carrotphunt Inc.: The startup has developed ‘Arch3D Liner’,an automated software measuring buried cultural properties.
- Chungdam Media: The startup brings a fresh approach to digital storytelling with CeREELS, a platform for animated music serials.
- DoubleMe: The startup provides a novel holograming experience through its 3D capture system – the HoloPortal. The technology converts 2D videos into dynamic 3D models in real-time for various 3D related content markets.
- CRTLab : The startup provide branding and designing solutions to businesses through its unique platform The platform matches companies to design experts from its massive data analysis system.
- Facemotion3D: The startup makes it easier to create virtual avatars with its unique iOS app that can capture facial expressions and communicate in real-time with 3D CG software.
- Monster Studio: The digital content creator company has gained a worldwide audience and international broadcasting partners with its unique animated creations, including the hit series’ Bread Barber Shop’.
- Plant Hugs: The company runs a successful YouTube Channel about plants, sells them and grows licensed plants and has the biggest European hydrangea greenhouse in Honam region in Korea.
- VoyagerThe3 (VT3): The startup has developed an LMS-based (learning management system) edutainment platform – NROUNDthat produces dance, fitness, and Korean language learning content.